Here’s a simple recipe to make the dipping sauce for a popular Malaysian dish – Roti Canai! Roti Canai is an Indian influenced dish that is very popular in Malaysia and other Southeast Asian countries. You can find them freshly made at a hawker stalls in Malaysia. It’s a tasty appetizer before your main entrees.
Roti Canai is typically served with a curry chicken dipping sauce. This version we have here just uses potatoes. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 4 pieces of Roti
For the Sauce:
- 2 cup of broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons of Mama Lam’s curry paste
- 1 potato – peeled and diced
For the toppings:
- Cilantro or scallions – chopped
- Add all sauce ingredients in a small pot, cover and let it boil.
- Once it’s boiling, add the potatoes and boil another 5 minutes. Make sure to keep the cover on.
- Prepare the roti as package indicates.
- You can make your own roti, but it is easier to buy them frozen from the store. The brand we like to use is a Singaporean brand called Spring Home.
- Keeping the lid on the curry while it boils keeps the sauce from evaporating
- You can definitely use fresh chicken stock if you have that and add a few pieces of chicken in to the sauce